THE Simple Present or simple present is a tense that we use to indicate habitual actions and recurring situations that occur in the present or in everyday life. It can also be used to Express feelings, desires, opinions, truths and preferences.
Its name is obvious and it means simple verbal form of the present. Phrases with simple present usually accompany expressions of time (adverbs) such as:
|every day||every day|
|every morning||every morning|
For you to see how the Simple Gift it's a simple thing, let's see some examples below:
|I run||I run|
|You run||You run|
|We run||We run|
|I always run||I always run|
|She kisses||She kisses|
|She daily kisses||She kisses daily|
|She often does||She often does|
|It dies||He dies|
|He enjoys||He likes|
|It plays||Ele/ela brinca|
|Babies cry||Babies cry|
Simple present rules and tips
Now that you have seen several examples above, be aware of some rules that you can observe in these examples:
- Verbs change when he, she and it are used. An “S” is added at the end of the verb.
- When the verb ends in "O, S, SS, SH, CH, X or Z" you must add the ES instead of just an S.
- When the verb ends with consonants before the Y, you must remove the Y and add HEI in place. [study = studies]
- The verbs in the simple present are used with the verbs in the infinitive, but without the “to” particle.
- The verb “to do” means to do. Already in simple present it is used as an auxiliary verb that complements the formation of negative and interrogative sentences.
Difference between simple present x present continuous? THE simple present describes a habitual action and occurred while the present continuous describes an action that is currently taking place or has just taken place.
Conjugation of the verb to be in Simple Present:
- I am (I'm)
- You are (You're)
- He is (He's)
- She is (She's)
- It is (It's)
- You are (You're)
- We are (We're)
- They are (They're)
The simple present also has a way of combining the verb to have.
Simple present example sentences
Now that you know the rules, let's see everything in practice with examples:
|Phrase in Portuguese and English||Phrase in Portuguese||Note|
|The sky is blue||The sky is blue||Universal Truth|
|He leaves his office at six o'clock.||He leaves the office at six o'clock||Affirmative|
|I don't understand what they say||I don't understand what they say||Negative|
|Do they know about this?||Do they know about it?||Interrogative|
|Mary and I work together.||Mary and I work together.||Habitual|
|Jack lives in Canada.||Jack lives in Canada.||Affirmative|
|She go to church every sunday.||She goes to church every Sunday.||Affirmative|
|We don't have the time.||We don't have time.|
|Don't cry for me.||Do not Cry for Me.|